Sunday, July 06, 2008

Rhythm of the road

early morning run today to mendalsta lake, S of Iskut, B.C.

From Smithers, BC (where they sell bubble tea, ohmigod am I in Bouder already?)

So is it pathetic that I like to stop at internet cafe's so that I can blog and "talk" to somebody other than Caz? Day 3 and we're getting in a groove. up early. coffee and drive a bit. stop to run. drive all day. late afternoon/evening hike somewhere. drive some more. stop late and camp in the rain. Slowly as it gets greener, more deciduous, the white spruce bigger... as I move South I can slowly start to pry my thoughts away from Alaska and focus more and more on the adventures ahead.

But it's so rainy here, I wonder and worry if I'm cut out for the Pacific NW. The car is ripe - 3 days ripe - with wet tent, wet dog, wet running shoes... Dea I'm pretty sure the smell would kill you instantly.

I have seen far more bears and mosquitos than I ever did in Alaska, I am driving away from that no?

2 comments:

Eero said...

Good luck Julie!
E.

Eero said...

Hey there,
Once I drove the Alcan in an old truck with only my cat for company. I'd brought along books for the evening, but they turned out to be stunningly bad.

Difficult trip, but amazing, too.

Best of luck,
E.