Saturday, July 05, 2008

On the road...


Saturday morning at the hip coffee shop in whitehorse. Free dog bisquits with your breve. Man if I weren't moving to WA I would move here in a heartbeat, only my 2nd time here but I love Whitehorse. Great run on the Yukon Marathon trails this morning, and now just visiting w/ locals on a sunny saturday morning. Yukoners are so ridiculously friendly.

Leaving AK has been a bit easier than I anticipated - so far. But still I've had my meltdowns - driving thru delta junction (I resisted the urge to detour and say goodbye to the dogs, goats, and pigs on the mason farm), and again when crossing the border. The thing I will miss - more than the mountains, the tundra, and the coast - is the people of course. But of all of the goodbyes - none of them felt final. My friends there have become such a huge part of my life, I realized that will continue wherever my life is. I know I will see the people I care the most about again - it's not a matter of if, but simply a matter of when. Driving thru delta I was thinking of the history I share with Ellie... spring on the delta in our early 20's, Fairbanks, Mexico, Anchorage, she was the first one I called when I lost Kai, I even made her wedding cake... so much history there. but fortunately I realize that I'm not leaving that history, I get to take it with me.

That said, I already miss all you guys.
bear cubs on the road near Kluane.

1 comment:

Greg said...

Safe travels, Julie and all the best!

sarah&greg