Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Aniakchak

there was a great story on the radio last weekend about Aniakchak National Park - one of the least visited National Parks in the country, and where I'm heading to do some field work next week. Only 26 people visited the Park last year, most of them likely ridiculously lucky geologists or biologists like myself. (Tho there are a handful of recreationists that fly in to the caldera and float out to the coast - sounds like a killer trip... someday).
It's crazy to think about what 'remote' means anymore these days. This park is only ~ 400 mi from Anchorage (closer than Fairbanks even) yet it receives maybe 1/1000 the number of visitors that go to the Antarctic every year. I've been googling it all night and have found ridiculously little info. Fortunately I ran into JJ tonight - he is the only person i know that has ever been out there. his only advice.... 'rubber and wool'. the weather is notoriously horrific, the bears dense... i'm excited to get out there.

2 comments:

Brian Jackson said...

Sounds like fun Julie...I'm looking forward to hearing about that trip when you get back.

Anonymous said...

Forget hearing about it when you get back, take me with you! You don't know me, but I'm awesome. I promise.