Sunday, August 13, 2006

wet wet wet weekend

I had planned a long canoe trip to Nenana on the Tanana river with my friends Kyle and Julie. We were smart on Saturday - woke up early, looked outside, and promptly went back to bed. Some reason we weren't so smart on Sunday and we decided to go anyways. Got on the river at 5:45 AM!! and it rained non-stop for 9 of the 10 hours, it took us to get to nenana. If the rain wasn't bad enough we had a 15 mph headwind to contend with for at least 40 of the 60 miles - crazy long day! The crazy thing is that I've skied this exact route in almost half the time - I never would have thought my skiis were faster than my kayak! Now after a long hot shower and 6 cups of tea later, I'm finally warming up and drying out.
Thursday I head up North for a short vacation - I'm helping Stacia drive all her field gear from Deadhorse back to Fairbanks. Should be interesting to see Prudhoe Bay in this midst of this major crisis, but really don't plan to spend much time there, we're planning to backpack in the Brooks range for a few days on the way back south. plan to be home by tuesday...


 Posted by Picasa

No comments: