Tuesday, July 18, 2006

half Ironman

the sourdough triathlon was on saturday - i finished my first half ironman! it was a really fun race, there was a great turnout (55 solo racers) with a lot of folks from anchorage coming up for it. the 1.2 mi swim was total chaos (ben took this pic of me looking for the next buoy), the 56 mi bike was pretty challenging with periods of pooring rain and a steady headwind (which of course turned into a nice tailwind for the 2nd half) and the 13 mi run was simply not a whole lot of fun for anyone. i finished almost 20 minutes under my goal of 6 hours and was in 4th place for the women and was just 15 sec. out of finishing in the top ten overall - not bad for a rookie eh?! the best part was one of my all time favorite alaskans did the race - Deedee Jonowre - she's a long time iditarod musher who is recovering from breast cancer, very inspiring story. now i'm ready to tackle a full ironman - just kidding! no my next goal is to do my first marathon in september, we'll see... Posted by Picasa

No comments: